Are you looking for an electric grinder that’s affordable? Read our Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder review
|Our rating: 3.7/5
Are you looking for an electric grinder to add to your family of kitchen tools? Want one that can be purchased at an affordable price? This review is on the Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder, and we’ll tell you all that we learned about this product. Read on to see if the Waring MG105 is the right grinder for you.
Features of the Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder
The Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder has the following notable features:
- Heavy-duty 500 peak watts motor (500 watts input and 300 watts output)
- On and Off Switch for easy operation
- Reverse function to help shake down any meat that might clog the grinder
- The MG105 comes with the following attachments:
- Three (3) cutting plates for fine, medium and coarse sizes
- Two (2) Sausage Attachments: ½ inch and 3/8-inch sizes
Like most electric grinders, the Waring MG105 comes with a set of cutting plates and sausage attachments. It is good to have three options for your grind size: fine, medium and coarse. Since the MG105 comes with these three cutting plates already, you do not have to spend extra money purchasing additional attachments for your grinder.
The Waring MG105 has a brushed stainless steel housing. The hopper for the meat is made of die-cast metal. The gears of the machine are made of plastic. This plastic gear is one of the weak points of this grinder. Many would prefer metal gears over plastic ones due to durability. Plastic gears are more prone to breaking or stripping. In the Customer Reviews section below, you’ll see what users mentioned about the plastic gears of this grinder.
The grinder’s dimensions are: 9.2 x 16.4 x 8.5 inches. It weighs a little over 10 pounds. The grinder is not too big not too heavy. Some electric grinders with bigger motors can weigh over 30 pounds. You should not have a hard time lifting the grinder or transferring it to a different work surface.
This grinder was not designed to grind bones. If your primary purpose for buying a grinder is to mix some bone in with the meat, we would suggest that you take note of this. Mixing bones is common for those who make fresh pet food at home. A different grinder might be better suited for you if you need to grind food with some bones included.
The Waring website states that this grinder has a Limited Five Year Motor Warranty. Though limited, this warranty is good considering that other warranties are only for periods of 1 or 2 years.
How Does it Work?
Before assembling the grinder, make sure to wash all the parts in hot, soapy water first. Follow the instructions in the user manual for assembly. Once the grinder is properly assembled, simply turn the switch on and start feeding food into the tube. Use a food pusher if necessary. If the grinder gets clogged, use the reverse function to remove the blockage of meat.
Taking the grinder apart for cleaning should be a relatively easy task. To clean the parts, use hot water with soap. It’s good to have a bottle cleaner or something long and thin to reach parts that might be hard to reach by hand. Dry all the parts completely before storing or assembling the machine again.
The Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder has an average rating. Some customers think the product is great. We surveyed these reviews and took note of those that we think matters. Here are some of the candid feedback from users that we think you should know:
- Plastic Gears. Some users who stripped down the unit found that the gears inside the grinder were made of plastic and not metal. These plastic gears were found by some people to be stripped after using the grinder for some time, causing the machine to stop operating properly. These plastic gears broke easily with some users.
- Varied reports on speed. The grinder is a bit slow, but some users report that it ground the meat well enough. It has been recommended to grind smaller batches of meat so as not to overwhelm the machine. However, there are also many users that are happy with the speed of the grinder. Some have noted that freezing the meat allows the grinder to work faster.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble. Several users note that the grinder is easy to put together. The instructions are straightforward and easy to follow. It is also easy to take apart when the unit needs to be cleaned. It does not take a long time to disassemble and to clean the parts is not difficult to do.
- Good price. You can get this grinder for an affordable price. It’s a good price considering that it’s already electric.
- Easy to Assemble and Disassemble. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to put together this machine. The manual that comes with the grinder is very easy to understand and has everything you need to know to assemble.
- Plastic gears. Gears made of plastic is the critical weak point of this grinder. Some customers stated that after using this for a few times, the machine started to make weird sounds. Some ventured to open it up and found that the plastic gears were worn out.
- Not for grinding with bones. If you have a pet that you make fresh food for, you might need to be able to add some chicken bones to the meat grind. This grinder is not suitable for grinding with bones. You might want to take a look at the LEM Products .75HP Stainless Steel Meat Grinder if you want something that can gobble up bones easily.
Should You Buy?
If you only grind a few pounds of meat occasionally, and you can’t stretch your budget further to purchase a more powerful and durable grinder, the Waring MG105 Professional Meat Grinder could be the grinder for you. Yes, the plastic gear debacle is concerning, but there are users saying that they’ve owned the machine for a couple of years before seeing anything wrong. If you are grinding meat for your pets and require some bones to be thrown in, we do not recommend buying this grinder.
How Does the Waring MG105 Compare?
|LEM .75 HP||4.8||6 lbs/min|
|LEM .35 HP||4.7||4 lbs/min|
|Weston No. 8||4.6||5 lbs/min|
|STX 3000 TF||4.4||3-4 lbs/min|
|Sunmile SM-G31||4.1||2-3 lbs/min|