[contextazon id=’25’] If you are currently searching for a manual grinder, you’ve come to the right place! In this review, we are taking a quick look at the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper with Gourmet Kit. It’s a manual grinder that falls in a budget price point category. If you’re not sure where to start, we suggest reading our comparison of Electric v. Manual Grinders to help you narrow down your search a bit.
Continue reading below to see what we learned about the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper.
Table of Contents
- Features of the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper with Gourmet Kit
- How Does it Work?
- Product Care
- Customer Reviews
- Should You Buy?
Features of the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper with Gourmet Kit
Back to Top
As we have let on in the introduction, the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper is manual grinder. If you are not familiar with the way manual grinders work, this type of kitchen tool requires you to rotate a handle to turn the screw inside which breaks down the meat. You’ll exert more effort with a manual grinder, but we like to think of it as a good arm workout.
You can grind about 3 pounds of meat with this kitchen tool. If you don’t do big batches of meat at a time, using a manual grinder would not feel like a marathon and should be a walk in the park.
The Universal Meat Chopper comes with the following accessories:
- Bladed Knife
- Five (5) Hole Cutters
- Sausage Stuffing Attachment
- Recipe Book to give you some basic blends to try with your meat grinds
Some of the important construction elements of the grinder are:
- Clamp base. The Meat Chopper is fitted with a clamp base that allows you to set it securely on your kitchen counter or work surface. You would not have to bolt the grinder down to your counter with this clamp.
- Dimensions and weight. The grinder is 11 x 6 x 4 inches big and weighs 8.6 pounds. It’s a decent size and weight for a grinder.
- Long handle. The Meat Chopper has a long handle that can help you grind food faster and more efficiently.
How Does it Work?
Back to Top
We recommend that you review the product manual before using or assembling the grinder. Just as with other hand-operated grinders, the process is easy. Just feed some meat into the slot and crank the handle to suck in the meat. The meat comes out ground and ready to be turned into a burger, sausage, dumpling or whatever floats your boat!
Back to Top
The grinder is easy to disassemble for cleaning. We highly discourage you from putting the parts of the grinder in your dishwasher. Hand-washing is the best way to care for this grinder.
Back to Top
The Universal Housewares Meat Chopper has an average rating.. We surveyed the reviews and summarized some of the critical points we read:
- Quality Issue. Several customers stated their criticism. What resonated from these critical reviews is an issue of quality. These users were unhappy with the quality of the product that they got and were expecting something better.
- Table Clamp. There are users that had an issue with the clamp. One said that the clamp does not have a rubber pad that protects your counter from damage and prevents the grinder from wobbling. Another user mentioned that the clamp won’t fit thick countertops.
- Easy To Use. There are a couple of users that were happy with the grinder and found that it was easy to use. (Read more customer reviews here)
- Affordable Price. For less than the price of a fancy meal in a steakhouse, you’ll be able to bring this grinder home. The budget won’t be an issue with this one.
- Durable body. The grinder’s body is made of cast iron which is a durable material.
- Quality. Universal Housewares is an old brand that produced long-lasting kitchen tools. Based on some of the reviews, were not sure if this specific grinder can hold up to the older models from this brand.
Should You Buy?
Back to Top
[contextazon id=’25’] We’re not highly enthused by this grinder nor are we shutting it out completely. We think it’s worth the shot especially if you do not need to grind that much meat. If you want something that’s heavy, not made out of plastic and helps you grind a few pounds of meat once in a while, then this Meat Chomper is a respectable choice.
If you are not entirely sold on the Universal Housewares Meat Chopper, you can take a look at our review of the Starfrit Manual Grinder. It also has a friendly price point and has slightly better product reception. Another affordable alternative for those who need a simple meat grinder at home is the Useful. Manual Meat Grinder.
If you think you can stretch your budget a little bit more, we would suggest that you look at Sunmile SM-G35 Meat Grinder. This one is affordable, electric and scores points on the “looks” department.