Read our KitchenAid Meat Grinder with Sausage Stuffer Kit Review to learn the pros and cons of this grinder that fits with KitchenAid stand mixers.
|Our rating: 3.5/5
Are you thinking of grinding your meat at home? There are many types of food grinders that you can choose. To narrow down the choices, you should figure out whether you want a manual or electric meat grinder. If you need a little help deciding, you can read our article on electric vs. manual grinders.
If you’re not quite sure if you can commit to buying a kitchen appliance for the sole purpose of meat grinding, you can also consider buying an attachment for your existing kitchen tools. One of the options you have is to purchase an attachment for the very popular KitchenAid Stand Mixer. In this review, we are taking a look at the KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment with Sausage Stuffer. Read on if you want to learn more.
Features of the KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment with Sausage Stuffer
The KitchenAid Stand Mixer is an iconic kitchen tool. Many homes across the world have this durable and efficient appliance. It’s great to know that it can function not only as a Stand Mixer but also as a Food Grinder and Sausage Stuffer. The attachment we featured in this review is the Food Grinder with Sausage Stuffer and Meat Tray.
This KitchenAid Attachment comes with the following parts and accessories:
- Grinder body
- Grind Worm (which is the screw or auger)
- Two (2) Grinding Plates: Coarse and Fine
- Combination Food Pusher/Wrench
- Sausage Stuffer
This KitchenAid Attachment has the following notable features:
- The Knife and Plates store inside the screw cap. We find the screw cap storage a great design element. You do not have to worry about losing your knife and blade since it has a special place for storage.
- It comes with a food pusher that doubles as a wrench. The wrench can be used to unscrew the ring that secures the knife, plate and grind worm in place.
- The food tray is already incorporated into the body, so you do not have to buy a separate Food Tray Attachment.
How Does It Work?
Follow the instructions in the user manual to assemble the Meat Grinder Attachment. Once you have assembled the kit and successfully attached it to the KitchenAid Stand Mixer, you are ready to go!
Remember: this is not an industrial appliance. It is best to cut the food/meat into small pieces before feeding to the grinder. Cutting the food/meat prevents the machine from stalling. If liquid pools in the hopper, drain the liquid before continuing so as to avoid any damage to the mixer.
Not all parts of the grinder are dishwasher safe. For your reference, these are the parts that are safe to put in the dishwasher:
- Grinder body
- Grinder worm
- Combination food pusher/wrench
The grinding plates and cutting knife should be hand-washed in warm water with soap. The grinding plates and cutting knife are not made of stainless steel. That being said, you must dry the parts completely before storing.
The KitchenAid Food/Meat Grinder is indeed a popular item. This attachment has received a high rating from customers. We browsed through the reviews and summarized some of the most helpful comments for you to consider:
- It works well for small batches of meat. The KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment is good to use for small batches of meat. If you intend to process a whole deer, the KitchenAid Stand Mixer plus Meat Grinder Attachment is probably not your best bet.
- It works faster than a manual grinder. If you already have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, you might want to consider just buying the attachment set instead of purchasing a separate manual grinder. The attachment set will allow you to grind the meat faster than a hand-cranked grinder.
- Some reviews mentioned that the contraption produced black metal dirt. One user ran the grinder “dry” (without meat) and found some dirt collecting under the plate. Another user found black metal dirt mixed in with the meat that he ground. The presence of black metal dirt is a legitimate food-safety concern.
- If you already have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, you do not need to buy a separate manual or electric grinder to use for small batches of food or meat.
- The KitchenAid Food/Meat Grinder Attachment is compatible with any KitchenAid Stand Mixer. You would not have to worry about what kind of KitchenAid Stand Mixer you have.
You have to have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer to be able to use this attachment. If you do not have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer yet and were not planning on buying one, we suggest that you buy a separate meat grinder. You can review our reviews of electric or manual grinders to find one that suits you.
Should You Buy?
If you have already invested in a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, this is a very good attachment to have. It will allow you to grind small batches of meat and even make sausages from the comfort of your home. Having this attachment would make your KitchenAid Stand Mixer a three-in-one machine: Mixer, Grinder and Sausage Stuffer. This attachment is very popular among KitchenAid Stand Mixer users, and we highly recommend it.